Main Research Projects
Global Supply Chain Reorganization under Biden Administration and Implications for Korea: Centered on Semiconductor and Battery Industries
- Efforts by the Biden administration to reorganize U.S. global supply chains are examined and future prospects discussed. The impact on the Korean economy is analyzed to produce policy implications.
U.S. Financial Sanctions against China and Implications
- U.S. sanctions and policies in the financial sector are analyzed to examine the short-term effects of U.S. financial sanctions. The long-term effects that yuan internationalization, introduction of digital currency, and opening of the Chinese capital market will have on the U.S.-led financial market are analyzed to produce effective policy response measures.
Response Measures by Global Firms to U.S.-China Competition and Implications for Korean Firms Advancing into China
- Analysis of global firms’ response to mounting competition between the U.S. and China and policy direction of major economies to identify response measures for Korean firms advancing into the Chinese market and policy implications for the Korean government
Russia Promoting Relations with China amid U.S.-China Competition and Policy Implications for Korea
- As the U.S. and China engage in strategic competition and the U.S. comes into sharper conflict with Russia, we examine the strategic promotion of Russia-China relations, comprehensively analyzing the background, significance and main points of cooperation by field to offer policy implications for the Korean government’s formulation of a new northern policy.
A Study of GVC Participation and RVC Construction by Central and South America amid U.S.-China Competition
- Analysis of whether a reorganization of supply chains around the U.S. will provide opportunities for CSA nations to join the GVC and establish regional value chains
- Results of analysis will provide significant information and policy implications for Korean government and firms.
Study on Plans for Cooperation with Southeast Asia to Stabilize Value Chain in Mekong Region
- Need to expand economic cooperation with Vietnam and adjacent countries in Mekong region to improve stability of supply chain between Korea and Southeast Asia
- When considering the risk factors caused by the U.S.-China hegemony struggle and how this is exposing Korean companies to stiffer competition, there is a need to expand policy support for Korean firms advancing into the Mekong region, first beginning with analysis of GVC policies in major investors in the region.
- Formulating plans for the expansion of trade in the Mekong region could serve as an opportunity to stimulate the trade of goods between Korea and Southeast Asia, which has faltered since 2018.
Ten Years of International Cooperation by North Korea under Kim Jong Un: Evaluation and Forecast
- We evaluate the goals and pace of change of economic strategies and international cooperation policies in North Korea under Kim Jong Un to explore policy measures toward stable peace on the Korean Peninsula and inter-Korean exchanges and cooperation.
Study on Digital Trade Agreement Strategy Roadmap
- Exploration of proactive strategies to pursue and expand digital trade agreements
- Construction of digital trade agreement model and impact analysis
- Review of improvements required in domestic institutions and potential issues in trade law when pursuing strategy of expanding digital trade agreements
A Study of Improvements to Korea’s Service Trade Statistics
- Reflecting the expansion of services trade due to the growing digital economy, possible changes are explored to improve Korea’s statistics on services trade, allowing the collection of consistent, detailed and future-oriented data on international service trade by business field, area, nation, mode, etc.
The Impact of Trans-Border E-Commerce on Global Value Chains
- The study aims to forecast changes in overseas investment and GVCs in the post-Covid world, particularly in regard to e-commerce, and produce significant policy implications.
Study on Carbon-Neutral Policies and Green Growth Strategies by Major Economies: Centered on the EU, U.S., China and Japan
- The process of new international norms forming in the process of implementing carbon-neutral policies, centered on the U.S., EU, Japan and China, is studied to identify the impact this cooperation between major economies could have on Korea.
- The European Green Deal and Japan’s Green Growth Strategy are analyzed to examine green growth strategies in major nations, providing policy implications for strategies by the Korean government to promote green growth.
ESG Initiatives in the International Community and Tasks for Korea
- Analysis of international discussions on ESG initiatives, case studies of implementation at international organizations and global corporations, and within Korean firms, to present effective response measures for Korea
An Analysis of the Economic Effects and Policy Implications of Market Opening in Global Environmental Goods and Services
- Review is conducted of negotiations on opening market for environmental goods and services, followed by impact analysis of additional opening on trade and the environment, to assess the economic effects of opening global markets for environmental goods and services.
The Effect of Environmental Migration on Labor Markets
- We examine how migration caused by environmental factors, such as climate change, natural disasters, communicable disease, etc., has a structural impact on labor markets, going on to formulate proactive measures to cope with transformation of industrial and labor structures due to environmental changes.
Green Transformation Policies of Chinese Urban Areas and Implications for Korea
- The study analyzes industries and markets being promoted by the Chinese government to realize green transformation, exploring possible measures for Korean companies to advance into these sectors and identifying the policy implications of stronger environmental regulation in China.
Analysis of New and Renewable Energy in India and Related Policies to Promote Korea-India Cooperation
- This study aims to accumulate ground data on the new and renewable energy sector within India, and to produce policy implications for cooperation between Korea and India in the area. More specifically, we review the current state of energy usage within India and utilization of new and renewable energy sources, related policies and institutions, and examples of cooperation with domestic and foreign partners to seek a promising direction for cooperation with Korea.
Food Security Crisis in Africa and the Middle East Caused by Climate Change and Cooperation Measures with Korea
- The global impact of climate change on agricultural production and trade is used as a basis to analyze the effect on food security and inequality in Africa and the Middle East, producing an analysis of the effect of climate change across all agricultural and food-related areas.
COVID-19 Crisis and Changes in Corporate Competition Structure: Based on Comparison with Previous Economic Crises
- The characteristics of industrial and business dynamism amid economic recession and recovery cycles are analyzed for major economic crises, including the COVID-19 pandemic, to identify policy implications in hand with coping efforts around the world.
Analysis of Transmission Process of Global Financial Crises: Based on Complex System Analysis
- Complex systems analysis is performed to examine how global or regional financial crises spread into new crises, using data on previous major financial crises and recent incidents to identify potential vulnerabilities and categorize specific types of financial crisis.
Study of Measures for the Advancement of Korea’s Financial Sector
- Measures to further advance Korea’s financial sector have recently become an important direction in the nation’s international economic policies. In this study we will review the current microeconomic situation and direction of policies in the area, followed by economic impact assessment, to produce effective policy implications.
An Analysis of Factors Determining Labor Income Distribution and Policy Implications
- An empirical study is performed on factors impacting income inequalities, such as automation, development of AI technology, and the deepening of GVC participation, suggesting policy directions toward sustainable growth.
Achievements of Inclusive Trade Supplementary Measures in Korea and Future Implications
- We evaluate the effectiveness of measures implemented by Korea to supplement damages sustained by Korean firms and workers due to the expansion of FTA policies or trade shocks caused by Korea reorganizing its trade structure to curb dependence on China and Vietnam, such as the trade adjustment assistance program or various employment policies, also identifying future points for improvement.
The Impact of Population Structure Changes in Indian States on the Labor Market and Industrial Structure
- Following a review of population changes by each Indian state, analysis is performed on how these changes affect the Indian labor market and industrial structure, thus contributing to understanding of the Indian market.
Comparative Study of ODA Policy Decision Factors in Donor Countries: Implications for Korean Policy
- Changes in public perceptions of international development cooperation are analyzed to provide better grounds for the formulation of development cooperation strategy as a donor country, and to suggest a proper direction for policies that reflect public sentiment.
Study of Evaluation Methodology for ODA Projects by Type: Centered on Technology Cooperation Projects
- Study of evaluation methodologies that make consideration for the characteristics of Korean technology cooperation ODA projects and conditions at implementing agencies
- Pilot tests performed for evaluations of different tech cooperation types and recommendations made to improve the quality of evaluations
Ad Hoc Studies on Current Issues
- Policy analyses conducted to provide timely response to policy demands in the government sector, initial theoretical or issue-based studies conducted to enable quality policy research
- Issue papers promptly released and circulated to government agencies in response to current issues and trends in the global economy