Major Research Topics
Study on Digital Trade Policy in the Digital Transformation Era
- Evaluation of Korea’s digital trade policies through survey of Korean firms in the digital sector and empirical analysis
- Forecast of future trade rules in the digital sector, together with recommendations to improve Korea’s digital trade policy
An Analysis of Competition Policies in Major Economies and Policy Implications for Inclusive and Innovative Growth
- Analyses are performed on competition policy in major economies and structural changes in the global economy in response to globalization and the 4th industrial revolution, based on which policy recommendations are produced for Korea’s policies on competition, chaebols and subcontract relationships, based on considerations for R&D investment, consumer welfare, economies of scale, and competition environments in the domestic and global markets.
The Effect of Digital Platforms on SME Advancement into Global Markets and Their Policy Implications
- Various empirical analyses are performed on the use of digital platforms by small- and mid-sized enterprises, and policies to promote their advance overseas, based on which effective policies to use digital platforms are explored.
Study of the Effects of Digital Tax on Foreign Investment by Multinational Businesses
- Recent developments and international discourse regarding the introduction of digital tax are reviewed to construct theoretical and empirical models and conduct simulations on the impact of digital taxes on foreign investment by multinationals.
- Policy implications are drawn to promote multinational firms based in Korea to advance into major markets.
A Study on Social Service Jobs in Major Countries and Policy Implications
- Comparison of social service jobs in major countries
- Policy examples pertinent to Korea’s situation identified and analyzed, presenting standards for an appropriate level of social service jobs.
Structure Changes in Global Value Chains after COVID-19 and Policy Response
- Recent external factors and changes having an impact on global value chains are analyzed to gain comprehensive insight on GVC changes in the post-COVID-19 world.
The Effects of International Spread of Anti-Dumping Measures and Diversification of Investigation Techniques and Their Policy Implications
- The international spread of anti-dumping measures and relevant policy operations in major economies are examined to analyze the economic impact of these measures and produce effective policy responses on the part of Korea.
Study on the Impact of Servicification in Terms of Promoting Export Competitiveness
- A thorough analysis is conducted on servicification in Korea’s manufacturing sector and how this has affected the export competitiveness of firms, going on to produce policy implications for trade policies to respond.
Evaluation and Forecast of U.S. International Economic Policies under New Protectionism
- Following an evaluation of U.S economic policy under the Trump administration, future directions of U.S. economic policies under the new administration are analyzed to present implications for Korean international trade and diplomatic policy.
Japan’s Trade Strategies in Response to U.S.-China Conflict
- Changes are examined in the international trade climate surrounding Japan since the launch of the Trump administration, mostly centered on conflict between the U.S. and China, after which response strategies by the Japanese government and businesses are studied to provide policy implications for the Korean government and businesses.
Green New Deal Policies in the Post-COVID Era and Implications
- Precedent cases in the use of green new deal initiatives in major economies to stimulate the economy are examined, followed by an analysis of financial inputs in the environment sector.
- A review is conducted of the conditions required for support measures in the environment sector to significantly stimulate economic recovery efforts.
International Expansion of the Circulation Economy and Tasks for Korea
- The major terms and types of circulation economies are analyzed, together with a review of the types of major waste materials and their trade, accompanied by further analyses of response measures in major economies and businesses, to present an effective response strategy for Korea.
Korea’s Development Cooperation Strategies by Region: Support Plans for Asian ODA
- This study aims to formulate specific plans to implement the third Strategic Plan for International Development Cooperation (2021-2025) with more considerations for regional characteristics in Asia.
An Analysis of Characteristics of African Public Health Sector and Cooperation Measures with Korea
- Comprehensive analyses of conditions and characteristics in the African public health sector
- Formulation of plans for cooperation with Korea in the areas of ODA, KSP and advancing into public procurement markets
Developments in Post-COVID-19 Currency and Financial Policy in Major Economies and Implications
- Changes in fiscal space seen in major economies as a result of response measures to COVID-19 are analyzed from a macroeconomic viewpoint, in search of an effective escape strategy to normalize the economy.
A Study on Decoupling between Exchange Rate and Fundamental Conditions: Centered on Market Confidence
- Analysis of exchange rate-determining factors using macroeconomic indices for fundamental conditions and market confidence indices, followed by tests to measure the accuracy of exchange rate predictions based on these indices
Post-COVID-19 Changes in the ASEAN Community and Future Tasks for the New Southern Policy
- Changes in the ASEAN community following the COVID-19 pandemic are reviewed, producing implications for three major areas of cooperation with the New Southern Policy.
An Analysis of Indian Trade Policy and Plans for Korea-India Cooperation
- Changes in India’s trade policies for each period are reviewed to gauge the major elements of these policies and promising areas for bilateral cooperation with Korea.
- Recent characteristics of India’s trade policies with major economies are analyzed, together with a review of trade policy in the areas of goods, investment, services, to gain policy implications for trade cooperation between Korea and India.
Russia’s Northeast Asia Energy Strategy and Korea-Russia New Cooperation: Focusing on the Natural Gas Sector
- The major features and characteristics of Russia’s energy strategy in the fourth term of President Putin are analyzed, together with comprehensive evaluation of energy cooperation by Northeast Asian economies (China, Japan) with Russia.
- The study aims to present a new plan for cooperation between Korea and Russia in the energy sector, with a focus on natural gas.
Innovation in the Digital Sector and Structural Transition in Major New Northern Economies: Focus on Cooperation with Middle Powers to the North in IT
- The industrial strategies of Russia, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan are examined, as major middle powers targeted by Korea’s New Northern Policy.
- A multi-sector growth model is employed to precisely measure the impact on traditional industrialization strategies at middle powers, by i) labor substitution through automation, and ii) productivity improvements in the service sector due to digitalization.
A Study of Measures to Promote Participation of Foreign Firms in Inter-Korean Economic Cooperation
- The current status of participation by foreign firms in inter-Korean economic cooperation is analyzed – also examining major issues such as conflict between preferential measures for Korean firms and possible discrimination against foreign firms, fund support by the Inter-Korean Cooperation Fund to foreign entities, and possible depletion (or insufficient funds) of the Fund – to provide recommendations for measures to promote economic cooperation between the two Koreas.
A Game Theory Approach to North Korean Sanctions and Their Impact on the North Korean Economy
- An empirical analysis of the impact of North Korean sanctions is performed, using North Korea-China trade data and night-time satellite images, thus producing policy implications for future North Korea policy.
Analysis of the Chinese People’s Quality of Life: an Objective Contemplation of the Moderately Prosperous Society
- Microeconomic data on the Chinese economy is analyzed to gain better understanding of Chinese society, leading to implications for future cooperation between Korea and China in economic and diplomatic terms.
China’s Digital Transition and Implications: with a Focus on 5G Networks and Fostering of the Data Economy
- China’s strategy to construct 5G networks and foster data markets is examined to explore promising measures by Korea to respond to digital transition in China and promote Sino-Korean cooperation.
Inequality of Income and Consumption in Central & South American Nations and Policy Implications
- The economies of Brazil, Mexico and Chile are selected to study various inequalities, together with an analysis of income-consumption inequality using microdata for each country.
Diversification Strategies at Middle East Oil Producers and Cooperation with Korea in the Low Oil Price Era: Focusing in Saudi Arabia and UAE
- After performing an analysis of international/domestic conditions and risk factors in oil-related industries, we improve understanding of Middle East oil producers’ diversification strategies and identify cooperation demands to formulate plans to assist Korean firms entering the Middle East and cooperation between Korea and the Middle East.
Ad Hoc Studies on Current Issues
- Policy analyses conducted to provide timely response to policy demands in the government sector, initial theoretical or issue-based studies conducted to enable quality policy research
- Issue papers promptly released and circulated to government agencies in response to current issues and trends in the global economy