While energy accessibility in East Africa is still low, global agenda on energy transition brings African countries moving towards increasing green energy supply such as solar and wind power. East African countries are cooperating in the energy sector to improve energy access and power generation through EAC Vision 2050 and EAPP.
Korea stands out as a global ICT industry leader, represented by a high broadband internet penetration rate and substantial investments in ICT hardware/software and industrial robots. Despite impressive technological advances, the adoption of new technologies by Korean firms lags behind, particularly in smaller enterprises, posing a challenge to inclusive and equitable digital transformation.
This study starts by highlighting how geopolitical factors, such as the US-China conflict and the Russia-Ukraine war, are reshaping global supply chains. The US-China conflict, marked by tariff wars and policy shifts, particularly affects key sectors like semiconductors and batteries. These conflicts reveal vulnerabilities in supply chains concentrated in specific countries and have been exacerbated by external factors like the COVID-19 pandemic
The Russian invasion of Ukraine has been a wake-up call in many ways for the whole world, but especially for Europe. Member States initiated policy responses to alleviate the burden of high energy prices in the short term out of necessity, as the disruptions across various sectors of the economy required an immediate response.
Korea plans to use voluntary cooperation under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement as a complementary measure to its domestic mitigation efforts. There is an urgent need to establish a plan to promote international emission reduction and to prepare specific implementation measures. The government needs to play a role in se-curing funding and providing support for international emissions reduction projects, as well as establishing laws and regulations to promote emissions reduction activities abroad.
As the geopolitical importance of the Indo-Pacific has grown in recent years, major economies have released their own Indo-Pacific strategies. Historically, we have seen the ups and downs of globalization and international cooperation. While divisions and de-globalization have been on the rise recently, we need to prepare for a future where economic integration, which is being actively discussed in the Asia-Pacific region, will extend beyond the Indian Ocean.
North Korea recognized the importance of addressing climate change early on and has been an active participant in international cooperation on climate change. However, North Korea's vulnerability to climate change is still considered to be very high, and the country has been unable to participate in the international community's efforts to support climate change adaptation in developing countries due to sanctions.
- Driving Inclusive Digital Transformation in Korea 새글 2023.11.30
- Adapting to the European Energy Crisis: Insights and Policy Initiatives 2023.11.09
- Korea's Trade Policy in Evolving Indo-Asia-Pacific Geopolitical Landscape 2023.11.01
- India’s Rising Significance in Korea’s Economic Landscape 2023.10.17
- Back to Basics: Fiscal Space in a Low-growth Era 2023.10.06
- The structural improvement for Korea's foreign exchange market and its implications on Korean economy 새글 2023.12.01
- Energy Accessibility and Green Energy Cooperation in East Africa 새글 2023.11.30
- Increasing supply chain risks and Implications for Korea 2023.11.17
- Paris Agreement Article 6 and Implications for Korea’s NDC Implementation 2023.11.02
- North Korea’s Climate Change Challenges and the Need for International Cooperation 2023.10.30
- The 13th KIEP-IMF Joint Conference 새글 2023.11.29
- KIEP-SASS Korea-China International Seminar 새글 2023.11.22
- Visit of key figures from Central Asia Strategic Research Think Tanks 새글 2023.11.22
- The 27th Korea-Latin America Business Forum 새글 2023.11.20
- 2023 APEC Study Centers Consortium Conference (ASCCC) 2023.11.15
Date&Time : December 7, 2023 (Thursday) 10:00~16:50
Venue : Mita Kaigisho in Tokyo
Date&Time : November 22, 2023 (Wednesday) 09:00 AM to 4:50 PM
Venue : Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences (SASS)
Date&Time : November 29th, 2023 (Wed), 14:00-17:00
Venue : Hotel President in Seoul
Date&Time : November 20, 2023 (Monday), 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Venue : COEX Asan Ballroom
KIEP Video ReportAre Digital Products Goods of Service? The Right Classification in the Digital Economy Era
KIEP Video ReportESG for Sustainable Development, Are Korean Companies Well Prepared?
EAER Vol.27, No.3 (September 2023)more
- Past Visiting Scholars
- Visiting Scholars’ Research Activities
- Useful Links
- Contact Us