Since its foundation in 1989, KIEP has served as a valuable source of insight into the changing trends of the world economy and provider of effective policy options and international economic strategies.
2016 - 2020
- 2020.06 Dr. Heungchong Kim appointed as the 11th president.
- 2018.06 The Center for Area Studies established. (Chinese Economy Dept, Advanced Economies Dept, New Southern Policy Dept, New Northern Policy Dept expanded and reorganized.)
- 2018.04 Dr. Jae-Young Lee appointed as the 10th president.
- 2017.05 KIEP awarded as a leading research institute in 2016.
- 2016.06 Dr. Jung Taik Hyun appointed as the 9th president.
2010 - 2015
- 2015.06 The Department of North East Asian Economies and the Strategy Research Team established.
- 2015.01 The Office of External Coordination established.
- 2014.05 The KU-KIEP-SBS EU Center established.
- 2014.01 The G20 Research Support Group established.
- 2013.08 Dr. Il Houng Lee appointed as the 8th president
- 2013.04 The East Asian regional FTA Research Support Group established.
- 2012.03 The Korea-China FTA Research Support Group established.
- 2011.08 The Emerging Region Research Center established. (The World Regional Center expanded and reorganized.)
- 2011.03 Responsibility for KOPEC Secretariat services transferred to the National Center for APEC Studies at KIEP. (the incorporated association of the KOPEC disbanded and absorbed into the KIEP organization.)
- 2010.02 The Regional and Provincial Research Team for China established.
2000 - 2008
- 2008.06 The ODA Team established.
- 2008.06 The International Development Cooperation Center established. (The Center for Northeastern Economic Cooperation expanded and reorganized.)
- 2008.05 Dr. Wook Chae appointed as the 7th president.
- 2005.12 The SNU-KIEP EU Center established.
- 2005.01 Dr. Kyung Tae Lee appointed as the 6th president.
- 2004.12 KIEP designated as an specialized research institution for international event. (Regulation on international event invitation and hosting.)
- 2003.04 The Center for Northeast Asian Cooperation established. (The Center for Northeastern Asia Research Development expanded and reorganized.)
- 2002.03 The DDA Research Center established.
- 2002.01 Dr. Choong Yong Ahn appointed as the 5th president.
- 2000.04 The World Regional Research Center established. (The Regional Information Center expanded and reorganized.)
1990 - 1999
- 1999.01 The Act for the establishment of KIEP changed. (KIEP Act → Act for establishment, operation, and development of government-funded research institutions.)
- 1998.06 Dr. Kyung Tae Lee appointed as the 4th president.
- 1997.10 Regional Information Center was incorporated into KIEP.
- 1997.02 Dr. Soo-gil Young appointed as the 3rd president.
- 1997.01 The Center for Northeast Asian Research Development established.
- 1995.03 The Beijing Office established.
- 1994.01 Designated as the secretariat for Korea's Official Pool of International Economists. (International Economy Committee)
- 1992.10 The name of the Northern Regional Center changed to the Center for Regional Economic Studies and Research.
- 1992.03 Dr. Jang-Hee Yoo appointed as the 2nd president.
- 1992.01 The Northern Regional Center established.(Dissolved and merged with the International Private Economy Council.)
- 1990.01 Supervisory responsibility over US KEI transferred to KIEP and KOPEC Secretariat relocated to KIEP.
- 1989.12 KIEP was re-established by a Special Act. (Foundation dissolved.)
- 1989.08 KIEP (Korea Institute for International Economic Policy) Foundation established. Dr. Chuk Kyo Kim appointed as the first president.