News & Event
Discussion on the direction of the new government's policy toward North Korea in May under the theme of Sanctions on North Korea, COVID-19, and Climate Change
KIEP held the "2022 International Seminar on the New Economy of Korean Peninsula" at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Seoul on February 24 (Thursday) under the theme of "Building Peace and Security on the Korean Peninsula: Sanctions on North Korea, COVID-19, and Climate Change."
Sponsored by the Ministry of Unification and hosted by KIEP, the event set the stage for constructive discussions on peace and security on the Korean Peninsula in the future with experts from major domestic and overseas organizations and the participation of the people through live YouTube.
At the forum, President Heungchong Kim and Minister In-young Lee of Unification held opening speeches and congratulatory speeches, respectively. President Heungchong Kim presented the need to diversify inter-Korean cooperation issues through his opening speech and said the new government needs to go further from denuclearization and sanctions against North Korea to discover new agendas such as response COVID-19, climate change & digital cooperation.
The subsequent session was attended by experts including Senior Fellow Gary Hufbauer at Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE), Senior Adviser Joseph Yun to the Asia Group and the U.S. Institute of Peace, Professor Justin Fendos at Dongseo University, Professor Hazel Smith of London University, President Thomas Byrne at Korea Society.
The event is considered meaningful in that it looked at changes in conditions affecting inter-Korean relations, including sanctions on North Korea, prolonged COVID-19 situation, and climate change, and sought policies and inter-Korean economic cooperation measures to be attempted in a changing environment.
- Title: 2022 International Seminar on the New Economy of Korean Peninsula
- Topic: Designing the Future of Peace and Security of Korean Peninsula: With the impact of Sanctions, COVID-19 and Climate Change
- Time: February 24th, Thursday 08:30 – 16:10 (KST)
- Venue: Grand Hyatt Hotel Grand Ballroom C, Seoul
- Host organization: Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP)
- Sponsor: Ministry of Unification
- Contact: Dawool Kim, North Korean Economy, Trade, Economic Cooperation (email@example.com)