The Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP) held a seminar on July 4th at the 2nd Seminar Room of the National Assembly Member’s Office Building on the theme of “Institutionalization of Inter-Korean Economic Cooperation: Promotion of CEPA between South and North Korea”.
The event was jointly hosted by National Assemblyman Byung Doo Min of the ruling Democratic Party, and focused on establishing a plan for the two Koreas to cooperate with each other in line with the New Economic Plan and Realization of Economic Unification on the Korean Peninsula proposed by the Moon Jae-in government. Participants at the forum also sought countermeasures to prepare for the expansion of inter-Korean economic cooperation in accordance with the rapid development of the relations between South and North Korea.
Dr. Jae-Young Lee, President of KIEP, mentioned in his congratulatory address that economic policies for trade on the Korean Peninsula have become more important as the tension on the Korean Peninsula is de-escalating. Dr. Lee also emphasized that inter-Korean economic cooperation remained low in its level of institutionalization in the past, and this has prevented any significant contributions to promoting North Korea's marketization, going on to stress that the level of institutionalization should be raised in the next chapter of inter-Korean economic cooperation. In addition, he insisted that businessmen who engage in projects with North Korea should be provided institutional support to ensure stable business by relieving any uncertain elements in regard to inter-Korean economic cooperation.
This forum is hoped to become the basis for the establishment and promotion of the Korean government’s policy on the Korean Peninsula.
- Topic: Institutionalization of Inter-Korean Economic Cooperation: Promotion of CEPA between South and North Korea
- Date & Time: July 4th, 2018, 10:00-12:00
- Venue: The 2nd Seminar Room, National Assembly Member’s Office, Seoul
- Hosts: Korea Institute for International Economic Policy (KIEP), National Assemblyman Byung Doo Min of the ruling Democratic Party
- Contact: Mr. Bum Hwan Kim, Researcher, International Cooperation for Korean Unification Team (email@example.com)