In a world of constant, rapid and unpredictable change, KIEP’s research in 2007 will focus on formulating sound economic policy recommendations that will serve to expedite Korea’s ongoing economic reform and restructuring. This research aims to:
- Examine international factors that threaten economic stability and develop appropriate countermeasures by studying the prevailing trends of global economics, exchange rate policies, and international monetary and financial cooperation.
- Develop trade policies aimed at increasing exports and expanding import liberalization while taking into consideration changes in the world trade structures, commercial policies, trade disputes, and organizations dealing with multilateral trade issues such as the WTO, OECD and APEC.
- Develop reform measures to attract FDI in order to facilitate economic restructuring while at the same time refining corporate structures and expanding ODI so that Korean businesses are able to increase and enhance their presence in the world economy.
- Analyze the economic trends of major countries and regions in the context of their implications for Korea and Korea’s bilateral economic relations with these countries and regions.
Assesses the international impact of macroeconomic policies in major countries and analyses international financial issues in the context of the Korean economy.Areas of Research:
- International Financial Markets
- New International Financial Architecture
- Appropriate Exchange Rate Regime in Emerging Markets
- International and Regional Financial Cooperation
- Liberalization of Financial Services and Capital Markets
- International Open Macroeconomics Modelling
Conducts research on trade and investment issues discussed at international organizations such as the WTO, OECD and APEC, as well as Korea’s related policies. Areas of Research:
- Korea’s Trade and Investment Policies
- Multilateral Trade and Investment Issues
- Trade Dispute Management
- Regionalism and Free Trade Arrangements
- APEC Issues
Analyzes developments in major countries/regions that have implications for Korea. Areas of Research:
- Economic Trends of Major Countries/Regions
- Korea’s Bilateral Economic Relations with Major Countries/Regions
- Economic Reform Trends in Major Countries
- Economic Integration Trends in Major Regions
- ASEAN+3 (China, Japan, Korea) Issues
- ASEM Issues
Studies ways to enhance diverse types of regional economic cooperation in Northeast Asia. Areas of Research:
- Northeast Asian and East Asian Economic Integration
- Northeast Asian Economic Cooperation (Trade, Investment, Financial Cooperation, etc.)
- Korea’s Business Hub Strategy
- International Cooperation for Korean Unification